Saturday, October 28, 2006

Who's Dream....

Was having coffee after dinner with one of my friend just now. He was not feeling good and started telling me about his unhappiness regarding his family. He started pouring out to me how his mum keep saying how useless he is blah blah...

It makes me wonder what is the purpose of his mum saying all that to him. Is it that she wanted to spur him to greater height? Or just mainly a passing comment?

I asked him that but he affirmed me that it is not just a passing comment. At that moment, I was really thinking hard as to what should I say to him. I was somehow lost of words at that moment, thinking how could a parent say that to their child and put him down. I could tell that he is deeply hurt with what had been said to him.

I do not know if I had done the right thing but I told him to go and think what could have made his mum say those things to him. What he told me was that because he wasn't good in studies and that is the reason his mum said that to him.

I think it is pretty ridiculous for a mum to judge a child based on his academic achievement. There is more to life than just academic excellence.

So I tried to console him by telling him maybe his mum is just trying to spur him on by sparking him. I told him to let his mum know how he felt and by saying how useless he is, is not helping but will only make him low in esteem.

I hope all parents out there, pls do not judge your child by his/her academic excellence. But to bring out whatever potential they have. Be it musical or sporting talent. Do not make your child achieve your dream but let them achieve theirs.

No comments: